This is rated as an intermediate yoga that is similar to a backbend. When you are doing it, it will be accomplished when the chest is opened, and also the back is deeply stretched. If you have a long day of hunching, this is one of the great poses you will need.
Yoga Bow Pose Sanskrit Name: Dhanurasana
Yoga Bow Pose Sequence :
- To start this pose, you will need to lie on your belly flat and then put your arms in the cactus position. The shoulder plates will need to be squeezed gently towards each other, but now the blades move backward.
- The next progression ensures that your chest, ribs, and head must be removed from the floor. After you have enough air inhaled, it will be now the time to get it out.
- Exhale now, but this time, together with it, lift your legs off the floor. Ensure that your feet are pressed together and then keep your legs both active and also engaged.
- Now bend your elbows so that they look as if you are the one squeezing them to each other. The chest and legs should have their lift maintained. But now, also bed your legs as you bring your heels close to your head. Do this until your toes are vertical above your knees.
- Your hands should be open and let your palms face the floor and then try to make sure that the skin found behind the shoulder plates is squeezed. This is also essential because it makes sure that muscles in your back are engaged.
- Now, press together with your toes and inner heels. Have 5-10 breaths as you slowly release yourself to the floor. Before you process to the next step, repeat the process once again. Your legs and arms should be off the ground. That is when you will be able to move to the low-energy Dhanurasana.
- Stretch out your hands to the back and also reach your ankles. All this should be well placed to not let your feet and ankles touch each other. For 3-5 breathes, you can now try to let your feet and ankles touch each other. Release the grip that you had slowly as you lower down to the floor.
- Now cradle with the use of your hands for around three breaths. This step will require you to repeat all the above three steps above. What will be different about it is that you will be required to increase the energy you will have used as you will be doing this step. You have to make sure that you can resemble the bow’s dynamics that are ready to have an arrow fit on it. You will need to let your legs work well, as they are rated as the strongest part of your body. When their strength is activated, you can be sure that the pelvis will be stabilized, creating a safe environment that will allow your spine to bend well.
Yoga Bow Pose Benefits :
- It benefits both the chest by opening it up and then stretching back.
- Ensures that the shoulders, abdomen, and also the neck.
- Beneficial for those that also have a stiff back.
Yoga Bow Pose Safety and Precautions :
- You will always be sure that there should be no pain that should be experienced as you do your yoga. You will feel like a deep stretch coming from the front torso to the pubic bone of your throat. Your tail pelvis is expected to tilt forward so that the tailbone will be free to list off as the t of the sacrum will have moved to the floor. If you feel any pain or discomfort, lower the pose until you are comfortable.
- Pregnant mothers are never welcome to this yoga pose because their weight will shift to their stomach and might bring complications instead.
Yoga Bow Pose Variations And Modifications :
- By use of straps, you can secure them around your ankles and then hold on to them. Remember, this is not entitled to bring your hands and ankles together. What it can do is bringing them just close together for you to perform the pose.
- You can also ease into the half bow. This will need you to stretch one side of your body one at a time. The left hand will grab the left ankle, and then you release and do the same to the right side.