How to do Pigeon Pose Yoga or Kapotasana:
Getting on all fours with knees hip-width and shoulder-width apart.
Bringing forward the right knee while placing it at the floor behind the right twist. Sliding the right ankle on the let twist. The right shin will end up crossing the mat from a comfortable angle. Extending straight the left leg while slowly lowering the hips on the floor.
The left foot top ought to be flat on your floor. Keeping hips level and weight distributed evenly while avoiding sinking in the right hip. Remaining upright while keeping the hands present on the floor in front, chest up while the core is engaged.
You may as well consider folding forward and walking slowly with hands out at the front. It will help in lowering the chest towards the floor.
Holding of pose for 5-10 breathes while switching and repeating sides. While coming out of the pose, there is a need of tucking under the left toes, pressing into your hands and bringing slowly the foot back in the starting position.
Benefits of Pigeon Pose Yoga (Kapotasana)
- Pigeon pose is stretching hip flexors present at the front of pelvis and thighs with hi rotators at the side/back of your pelvis. It will be increasing the motion range of your femur present at the hip socket.
- Pigeon pose will assist in warming up of your body for you seated or backbend poses which require external rotation of the hip such as lotus pose. It will also benefit the back a lot.
Safety and Precautions for Pigeon Pose Yoga (Kapotasana)
- People with high and low blood pressure are prohibited from the practice of yoga pose.
- Ensure you are not practicing asana while suffering from migraine, hypertension, and insomnia.
- Avoiding doing the pose while you have a neck injury or low back.
Modifications and variation for Pigeon Pose Yoga (Kapotasana)
- Propping yourself up. While struggling to hold the stretch with tight hips, you need to add a blanket or block in the glute of the bent leg. It is the best way of giving your legs more support.
- Folding forward. If you feel comfortable while sitting upright, there is a need to lower the torso over the front thigh to get a deeper stretch. You will be walking your arms out while lying straight on the front floor. There is a necessity of placing the head on the block or ground.