Chair Yoga Poses
Yoga can help you achieve fitness goals. That is why sometimes you need a chair to have a good yoga session. Chair yoga poses can help in relieving chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, and other health issues. It is also a good workout to enhance your daily workout routine. Let us have a look at the best chair yoga poses.
Chair Cat-Cow Pose
This is usually considered as a warm-up yoga pose that prepares the body for more advanced yoga poses. It focuses on the arms and shoulders, hips, chest, upper back, middle back, lower back, and the neck. To get started, you need to sit on the chair and take a warm-up by breathing as you arch your spine towards the back of the chair. Ensure you sit up tall while breathing as you arch a little bit forward.
Steps to perform Chair cat-cow pose:
- Place your feet down and sir at the edge of the chair and take a deep breath to lift the chest and exhale to tuck the chin and curl the body.
- Keep your feet grounded and make some movements around the spine as you inhale to arch your back.
- Exhale to curl the spine as you tuck your chin towards your chest and roll your shoulders forward.
- Continue doing the cow for inhalations and cat for the exhalations repeatedly for approximately five breaths.
Benefits of Chair cat-cow pose:
- This yoga pose is beneficial because it makes the spine to be flexible by stretching your neck and torso which also strengthens the abdomen.
Precautions for doing Chair cat-cow pose:
- You should take precautions when doing these yoga poses if you have neck injuries.
- Ensure your torso is in line with your head.
- If you are a pregnant woman and you want to do the cow pose then you need to bring your spine to a neutral position after every pose to prevent strain on the Lower Back.
Chair Upward Hand Stretch Pose (Chair Urdhva Hastasana)
This pose is also known as an upward tree pose or a pose salute. It involves a full-body stretch since it is done as a sun salutation sequence. You may need to take the pose for at least a breath to explore more benefits.
Steps to perform Chair upward hand stretch poses:
- To get started you will need to inhale as you bring your arms to the sides and up to the ceiling.
- Ensure your arms are parallel so that you can do it without punching your shoulders. Keep your palms facing each other and your hands straight to the fingertips.
- Slide your shoulders from your ears to your shoulder blades down to your back. If you feel the ribs are pulling apart you will need to get them back by keeping your muscles strongly engaged by taking a deep breath.
- Afterward, release your arms as you exhale out to release the pose.
Benefits of Chair upward hand stretch poses:
- The benefits of this pose are to improve your posture, give full body stretch, and strengthen the legs.
- It is recommended to have it in the morning to ensure your body received some stretching workout, particularly on the thighs, shoulders, and arms.
Precautions for doing Chair upward hand stretch poses:
Additionally, this pose is also a foundation for other more complex poses.
- When doing this yoga pose you should avoid some mistakes such as locking your knees, hunching your shoulders, and opening your arms too wide.
Chair Forward Bend Pose (Chair Uttanasana)
This is the simplest pose that you can do by bending your knees while sitting on the chair.
Steps to perform Chair Forward Bend Pose:
- Bend forward slowly to make your spine and the shoulders to round forward.
- Chin in towards the chest and take a deep breath and exhale to release the pose.
Benefits of Chair Forward Bend Pose:
- This pose is very beneficial in stretching your hips, calves, hamstrings, and the lower back.
- It also increases digestion.
Precautions for doing Chair Forward Bend Pose:
- However, you should be cautious when doing this pose especially if you have had a recent injury on your hips, legs, and back.
Chair Extended Side Angle Pose (Chair Utthita Parsvakonasana)
This is a yoga pose that you do while standing to utilize all the body muscles.
Steps to perform Chair Extended Side Angle Pose:
- You need to begin with simple mountain yoga poses by turning to the left as you extend your arms sideways and palms facing down.
- Ensure your knees are aligned. Afterward, turn your right leg 90° so that your toes are pointed to the top of the mat.
- Bend this knee until the right thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Turn the left toes slowly as you try to align the right foot heel with the arch of your left foot.
- Take a deep breath and bend your left hip forward.
- Open your torso to the left but don’t turn your body. Lower your right arm so that your forearm is rested on your right thigh as you exhale.
- Using your left arm try and reach out to the ceiling as you extend your arm above your head.
- Turn your head up to the ceiling and take a smooth breath. You can deepen the pose by lowering your front hand towards the floor.
Benefits of Chair Extended Side Angle Pose:
- The extended side angle pose helps in relieving stiffness on the back and shoulders.
- It also ensures your hamstrings and groin are fully stretched to increase stamina.
- Additionally, you will get to experience some therapeutic benefits for lower backache, infertility, and constipation.
Precautions for doing Chair Extended Side Angle Pose:
- However, you need to take precautions when doing this pose especially if you are experiencing low /high blood pressure, insomnia, and headaches.
Chair Pigeon Pose (Chair Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
Chair pigeon pose is not complicated for beginners.
Steps to perform Chair Pigeon Pose:
- You need to cross your legs while seated on the chair with one side over the other.
- Ensure the leg cross at 90° but keep your foot flexed so that it doesn’t place too much pressure on the knee.
- Stay upright to ensure the weight is distributed effectively.
- By doing this you should feel some gentle stretch on the thigh. You need to hold up to 5 breaths before taking a turn on the other leg.
Benefits of Chair Pigeon Pose:
- Chair pigeon is for beginners and it offers some nice stretch on the thighs.
- It can help in relieving muscle cramps along that area.
Precautions for doing Chair Pigeon Pose:
- However, you should take precautions when doing this pose especially if you have had a decent injury on the hip and legs.
Chair Eagle Pose (Chair Garudasana)
This is like a twisted up yoga pose that is easy to break off from it but you need to maintain balance. It works on the inner thighs, glutes, and offers shoulder stretch.
Steps to perform Chair Eagle Pose:
- Before you begin you should ensure both legs are bent and your arms are stretched to the sides. Transfer the weight to the left’s foot and lift the right foot from the floor.
- Cross your right thigh over the left as high as you can. Thereafter, hook the right foot on the left calf as you bring your arms outwards to be parallel with the floor.
- Cross the left arm over the right arm and lift your elbows to the shoulders position as you keep your shoulders rolling down from your ears.
- Rise the crown of your head as you keep your spine perpendicular to the floor.
- Hold up to 5 breaths then repeat the procedure on the other side.
Benefits of Chair Eagle Pose:
- This pose has lots of advantages including strengthening your hips, thighs, ankles, and calves.
- It also improves your concentration.
Precautions for doing Chair Eagle Pose:
- The most important precaution to take when doing this pose is to ensure you adhere to the proper alignment of the thighs, arms, and hands.
Chair Spinal Twist Pose (Chair Ardha Matsyendrasana)
This is yet another great yoga pose for beginners. The procedure is simple.
Image Source: Verywell Fit
Steps to perform Chair Spinal Twist Pose:
- You just need to sit on the chair while facing the left side.
- Twist your torso toward the left side as you hold on the chair to experience some spinal twist.
- Take a deep breath as you lengthen your spine.
- Move the twist to the right side by moving your legs to the right side of the chair and repeat the procedure.
Benefits of Chair Spinal Twist Pose:
- This pose works well on the spinal area and it relieves tension on the lower back.
Precautions for doing Chair Spinal Twist Pose:
- You should be cautious when doing the pose, especially if you have had a recent injury on the spine or the lower back.
Chair Warrior 1 Pose (Chair Virabhadrasana 1)
Doing the warrior pose required you to be precise and concentrate.
Steps to perform Chair Warrior 1 Pose:
- Start by placing your right leg over the right side of the chair while swinging the left leg away from the left side of the chair.
- The sole of the left leg should be parallel to the seat of the chair. Ensure the left leg remains straightened in that position.
- Keep your torsos facing towards the right leg while raising your arms towards the ceiling.
- Take a deep breath while in that position and hold it for three breaths.
- You should ensure there is proper alignment on your hips to get the most out of this pose.
Benefits of Chair Warrior 1 Pose:
- The chair warrior one is a great stretching exercise for inner thighs, legs, glutes, and your torso.
- You can do it in the morning to help you stay active all day long.
Precautions for doing Chair Warrior 1 Pose:
- You need to be cautious when taking this exercise especially if you have had a recent injury on the lower back, hips, and legs.
Chair Warrior 2 Pose (Chair Virabhadrasana 2)
Steps to perform Chair Warrior 2 Pose:
- This pose resembles the chair warrior I only that you need to open up your right arm as you swing forward while the left arm goes back.
- The left hip should be drawn back as you turn your torso to the left to ensure it is properly aligned with the front part of the chair.
- Take a gaze above the right fingertips and hold up to three breaths.
Benefits of Chair Warrior 2 Pose:
- This pose is a good stretching exercise that extends from the lower area to the arms.
Precautions for doing Chair Warrior 2 Pose:
- Ensure you are stable to prevent accidents because it requires you to maintain proper alignment for balance.
Chair Reverse Warrior Pose (Chair Viparita Virabhadrasana)
Steps to perform Chair Reverse Warrior Pose:
- Maintain the same posture from the chair warrior. The difference comes in where you will need to draw your left arm towards the left leg while lifting the right arm towards the ceiling as you exhale.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other side and ensure you take a deep breath and release the pose on the exhale.
Benefits of Chair Reverse Warrior Pose:
- It also offers good stretch and it helps in relieving tension around the shoulders.
You mau also like: Restorative Yoga Poses